I've also started covering the bonnet as well. I'm using a brown cotton velveteen for the outer fabric. I've got the crown cut, gathered and pinned on. I'll baste it down and then put on the brim. I'm leaning towards using blue ribbons for trim to match the blue stripes on the silk. We'll see what I like when I go up to M&J.
September, 2008: The Red Stripy Bustle
While I'd had the undies sewn for a while, the dress itself I did in three days. I wanted something bright for Saloncon, and this definitely qualifies.
December, 2008: Revolution in a Week
Basically, the only parts of this I didn't make in a one week rush were my shoes, stockings, and hat blank. Upon extended wearing I've decided the front of my half-boned stays need to be recut, because currently they're a bit too short and wide across the bust. But that's for later.
And for 2009, I have quite the list.
- 1560s Teal Venetian
- Catherine-Charlotte de Gramont, Princess of Monaco(1660s), for charlesii. I plan to get this done for Costume Con in May.
- 1775 Pink Brocade Caraco
- 1780s Chemise à la Reine
- 1791 Purple Sari Pierrot Jacket and Skirt
- 1844 Grey and Lavender Plaid, for the Poe Bicentennial events this month.
- 1872 Watteau Bustle Gown
- 1874 Light Blue Evening Gown (left)
- 1875 Winter Striped Walking Suit
- 1920s Print Silk Dress, adaptation
I have ideas for a few more things, and I need at least one Vampires, Villains and Vixens outfit, but this is most definitely enough for the first half of 2009.
Once I put the lining in I'll try to take better, less yellow-y pictures.
( more pics )
Also, the first of my saris arrived over the weekend, and I think I've decided what to do with it. It's this one, and I think I want to do a late 16th century Venetian gown with it. I think the small, repeating pattern in the brocade will work well.